Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Old-Fashioned Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti

I have updated the "Intro" area here and am working on compiling a little list (that will probably gradually get things added to it) of different food substitutions and things of the like. I figured it would be a handy list, because sometimes I prefer a substitution instead of what is called for, or just don't have what is actually needed.

Now to the recipe. :)



This was a fantastic recipe I stumbled across, which was a good thing. For a while my husband had been requesting a nice cheesy chicken spaghetti. It made me want a good one too, so I was pretty excited when I found this one and successfully made it and tasted how amazing it was.

Old-Fashioned Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti

Ingredients:
3-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (depending on size)
Spaghetti noodles (about a 12 oz. pkg.)
8 oz. Velveeta, cut into cubes
1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
1 (8 oz.) pkg. shredded cheddar cheese (2 cups)
1 small onion, chopped
2-3 celery stalks, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped

Directions:
1.) Fill a big pot with water. Wash off chicken and put it in the water. Not necessary, but I sprinkle in unmeasured amounts of salt, poultry seasoning, pepper, and Tony Chachere's seasoning (because I'm addicted to it and it is amazing. ^-^) Let the chicken come to a good boil, and then reduce to a simmer until done, about 45-50 min. Put chicken on a plate to cool and then cut into smaller pieces once they've cooled a bit.
2.) In another large pot (or the same one given a quick cleaning), fill with water (add salt) and bring to a boil. Cook spaghetti noodles as per package directions. Drain and set aside when done. (On occasion, instead of water, I will use a 32 oz. carton of chicken broth to cook the noodles.)
3.) Get a skillet heating to melt the butter. Chop vegetables into similar sized pieces. Melt stick of butter in skillet and then add all of the vegetables and saute until tender. About 5 or so min.
4.) In a large, microwavable bowl, add Velveeta cubes, chicken broth, and cream of chicken. Stir it together a little and then microwave for 6 min. Stir and mash up unmelted Velveeta cubes.
5.) If you haven't done so already, pour noodles into cooking sprayed 9x13 baking dish. Add chicken and sauteed vegetables with butter; mix. Add cheesy soup mixture; mix. Top with all of the shredded cheddar cheese and put into a preheated 350° F oven and bake for 45 min. Remove, let cool, then enjoy!


When I made this meal this time around, I used 2 tbsp. dried minced onions in place of fresh chopped onion, because the Commissary only had 2 moldy onions when I went to buy the produce for the meal. :( I much prefer the fresh onions in this meal.
Didn't get a picture of the boiling chicken (apologies). Instead you can have a picture of Tony's. :) When I boil my chicken, I put it into the water still frozen and simmer it for 50 min. If you are using chicken that is already thawed, you could probably go 40-45 min. if you wanted. Just be sure that your chicken is completely cooked through.
I would turn on the oven to preheat around this point, or perhaps after the noodles have cooked. Just to be sure the oven will be ready when you are.

It appears I forgot to snap a shot of the celery as well. Oh well. When you're cooking the vegetables in the butter, make sure they (butter included) do not burn.
Pre-microwaved cheesy soup mixture. It doesn't look all that great, but it'll taste good. :)
Mix together before adding the mixture.
Mix well again after adding in the mixture.
Top with all of the shredded cheese, pop in the oven and bake for 45 min.
And out comes the cheesy goodness. :)
 Enjoy!

I like to make Texas Toast with this, and a nice crisp salad goes well with it too. My husband also requested that I add in jalapeños next time as well, so consider that!


Recipe adapted from Mommy's Kitchen.

2 comments:

Summer said...

Yummy! I loved the rich cheesiness of this dish! And it was great leftover too!

Jessica said...

This one takes a while to make, but it is SO worth it!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...