Ads 468x60px

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Smashed Potatoes


I love cookbooks. I recently bought four discounted ones off of the internet, and a used one from someone. I'm buying another used one off of another person on Monday. I have a stash of them overflowing on their little makeshift bookshelf I have them on, but that's okay. I think if anyone was ever stuck on a gift for me, a cookbook is one winning way to go. This recipe isn't from a cookbook, but you can definitely expect some from my amassed hoard of them soon enough. :)

This recipe is a GREAT side dish that can easily go with many things. One thing I've served it with is Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken.



Smashed Potatoes

Ingredients:
About 12 small potatoes (red, new, etc.)
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
Chives

Directions:
  1.) Bring a pot of water to boil and boil potatoes until they're soft enough to be easily poked with a fork.
2.) Cover a baking sheet with foil and thoroughly coat with olive oil.
3.) Place potatoes on baking sheet and then press until it mashes down. Turn potato masher (if this is what you are using) and finish mashing it.
4.) Brush tops of potatoes with olive oil.
5.) Sprinkle potatoes with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
6.) Top with chopped chives.
7.) Bake potatoes at 450°F for 20-25 min.

Boil potatoes until you can poke 'em with a fork. Probably 15-20 min.
Cover a baking sheet with foil and spread olive oil over foil. (This is also about where I turn on the oven to preheat.) I used a brush to swipe the oil generously over it. Put potatoes on foil.
I don't have a potato masher, so I used the bottom of a drinking glass to mush my potatoes down.
If you used that brush for the olive oil earlier, take it out again and brush olive oil over the tops of the potatoes. Then sprinkle kosher salt and fresh ground pepper all over them and top with chives. My chives look funny because they had been in the freezer. Don't laugh at them.
After you bake them for 23min. at 450°F, you'll get these delicious morsels.


Recipe from The Pioneer Woman.

2 comments:

Summer said...

I made these to accompany butter beans, buttered toast, and pork chops last night. I think they made a simple and nutritious side dish. But I don't think I salted mine enough. I thought I put lots of salt in the boiling water and put plenty on the potatoes before they baked, but I couldn't taste any salt once they were ready to eat. Sean asked me if he could put ketchup on his. Sigh.

Jessica said...

Yum! These are one of my favorite side dishes. Did you use kosher salt? It makes a difference. It is coarser and the granules are larger.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...